Skip to main content

A Look at Deliberative

People exceptionally talented in the Deliberative theme are best described by the serious care they take in making decision or choices. They anticipate obstacles.
CliftonStrengths

This week our guest blogger is Janae Solomon. Janae has been a mentor since 2015 and last year took on the awesome challenge of serving as the Program Coordinator for TeamMates of McCook, Nebraska. Her top five strengths are Learner, Deliberative, Individualization, Input, and Developer. Here’s what Deliberative looks like for Janae:



When I took the Strengths survey through TeamMates a year and a half ago, Ally warned us that there might be a strength we or our mentees would have a hard time taking ownership of because it had been previously been a label or a perceived flaw. That was Deliberative for me. When that came out as my number two strength, I thought “Yeah, I overthink things and take too long to make decisions. How is that a strength?” Thankfully, because of Ally and Tess’s strengths-spotting abilities and way of helping people see how their strengths make them uniquely awesome, this is a strength I have grown to better understand and appreciate.

To me, Deliberative means that I need time to make careful decisions and think things through. I want to prevent problems and setbacks and to look at different angles. I need to fully process my thoughts before I speak, write, or act. Making snap judgements or being put on the spot without preparation is a challenge. Being Deliberative means I would rather listen to others than talk about myself, and I enjoy being alone so I have plenty of time and space to think. I am an observer, a listener, a contemplator. I’m reserved and cautious. Having the opportunity to thoroughly examine, investigate, and consider all the factors involved helps me feel confident that I am making the right decision. Online shopping is heaven for deliberators like me – I can read reviews, compare prices on other sites, and leave something in my cart for days while I think about it! Last I counted, I have over one hundred items “saved for later” on Amazon (mostly books), which is the accumulation of years of deliberating purchases!

My top five strengths are Learner, Deliberative, Individualization, Input and Developer. I really feel like Deliberative blends in a unique way with each of these strengths. Combined with Learner, it means I love to read articles, attend workshops, and listen to speakers so I can sit back and absorb and process new information. With Individualization, it blends in that I carefully observe people and listen to and reflect on their stories, so I can better understand them. Combined with Input, this is shown by me asking questions and researching things so that I have more to process before I speak or act. With Developer, this means once I have learned about people using Input and Individualization, I take the time to think about how I can work with them to help them grow and succeed.

Deliberative is a strength I rely on every day, at home and at work. In addition to being the TeamMates Coordinator, I am also a high school counselor. Being in this role means I wear lots of different hats throughout the day and sometimes have some big decisions to make. When counseling students or meeting with parents, being deliberative allows me time to process what I’m hearing and to think carefully before I respond. Because of Deliberative, I’m a good listener and people seem to easily trust me. When discussing big life choices with students, like where to go to college, Deliberative allows me to help others think through their decisions and to offer factors to consider that they might not have otherwise. I am married to an Activator, so the Deliberative strength balances my husband’s tendency to want to jump into projects and make decisions quickly. He’s the gas and I’m the brakes. Because of our complementary strengths, I am able to foresee challenges or think of a different approach, and he has the ability and confidence to act and make it happen. Thankfully, my husband has come to respect that I need time when faced with decisions because he knows that the best choice is being made when I’m not rushed.

In my mentoring relationship, I am able to use Deliberative with my mentee just like I do as a counselor. She loves to talk and is never short on stories and words. Someone with a different strength paired with her might interrupt or get lost listening to her, while I am able to carefully follow along and process what she’s telling me before thinking about when it’s appropriate to respond and what the right words are. As a coordinator, Deliberative helps me to problem-solve with mentors when they come to me and carefully plan and execute our chapter’s events throughout the year.

My family recently moved to a larger house out in the country. Our first house was a fixer-upper that my husband and I spent two months remodeling before we moved in. With his Activator and my Deliberative, there were moments of tension as he was constantly ready to start on the next project and wanting my input, and sometimes I felt rushed into making decisions since we were trying to get it done as quickly as possible. Our house turned out beautifully and with all the details I wanted – I like to say I was the brains and he was the muscle (though I did my fair share of grunt work). I am excited yet overwhelmed at the same time now that we are in a new home because, though it’s in great condition, we want to make some updates and really make it ours. This time, we will slowly update room by room. Not being hurried and having as much time as I need is a relief, though sometimes having a deadline is a helpful nudge to force me to make a decision. I have had two different samples of paint on our bedroom and dining room walls for about three weeks now and am having a hard time deciding which colors I like. I might need another week or two to think about it!
-Janae

If you are interested in guest blogging about one of your Top 5 StrengthsFinder themes this school year, please email Tess at tstarman@teammates.org



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Strengths Activity: DBT House

The featured activity this week has become a recent favorite of the TeamMates Strengths Team. I learned of it by attending the Green Hills AEA Conference this past summer. The breakout presenter, Louise El Yafoori, taught on mitigating culturally sensitive trauma. This activity comes from the practice of Dialectical Behavior Therapy. While it can be used in very targeted ways for working with certain groups of kids, we found it a powerful reflective exercise that we all could benefit from. We facilitated this activity at our annual strengths day at the Gallup campus this year and the results of this learning and self reflection were highly impactful. Consider doing this activity with your mentee as a way to deepen the conversation around strengths and talent by incorporating discussions of values, role models, support systems, and more. Activity Instructions:  On a blank piece of paper, sketch out a house. Your house should include: a foundation, walls, windows, a door, roof, ch

Achiever: Fulfillment from Accomplishment

People exceptionally talented in the Achiever theme work hard and possess a great deal of stamina. They take immense satisfaction in being busy and productive. Clifton StrengthsFinder We are excited to hear from Stephanie Pravecek about Achiever this week. Steph is the Events Coordinator for TeamMates and leads with Achiever, Responsibility, Discipline, Consistency, and Relator. People with high Achiever are hard workers, list makers, and doers. It is very difficult for Achievers to take a break when there is a task at hand that needs to be completed.  Once one task is complete it is on to the next and then the next. Achievers set out each day to accomplish at least one task but, there is much more fulfillment when multiple things are crossed off the “to-do” list for the day. This does include weekends and vacations, as REST or RELAX are not words you often hear in the vocabulary of an Achiever. As a guest blogger this week, I am going to put more of a personal ton

Strengths Activity- Strengths Metaphors

A fun activity we have done with students is Strengths Metaphors. We often have a tendency to limit and confine our strengths to the two-sentence definition of the theme we find on the 34 list. Strengths manifest uniquely in each person based on their other 5 or 2 themes, their age, their background, their life experiences, and so much more. The Strengths Metaphors activity is a great way to break the themes of out of the boxes we put them in. Fill out the worksheet or engage in a conversation using the prompts on the sheet. Pick one of your top 5 or top 3 themes.  Describe what the theme looks like, what color you would associate with it, what it smells like, what it sounds like, and any other sensory descriptors you would add to the selected theme.  Share with your mentee and ask your mentee to share with you. Share with each other why you chose to assign these specific descriptors to the strength.  If you have similar strengths to each other, discuss the differences between