Skip to main content

A Look at Woo


People exceptionally talented in the Woo theme love the challenge of meeting new people and winning them over. They derive satisfaction from breaking the ice and making a connection with someone.  
CliftonStrengths

This week, our guest blogger is Dan Kingkade. Dan has been a TeamMates mentor since 2006, mentoring in both the Omaha Public and the TeamMates+ programs. In addition to being an incredible strengths advocate, Dan also is an expert trainer and has conducted mentor academies on the topics of well-being and humor. His top 5 are Maximizer, Communication, Individualization, Woo, and Self-Assurance. Here’s what Woo looks like for Dan:



I have a very clear memory from when I was in 4th grade. I had written a poem about a frog that my teacher thought was worth sharing with other classes in our school.  “Would you like to go and read your poem to the 5th and 6th grade rooms?” And I remember this part very clearly....I said, “yes, that sounds like fun”.  I had absolutely no fear about walking into a room of classmates I didn’t know and winning them over with my poem.

As a junior high student, I was often invited to parties. As one classmate said to me, “Can you bring your brother? He’s cute.  But you have a good personality and will make if fun”. And fun it was.

My 8th grade English teacher wrote on my report card that she “moved Dan’s seat because of wisecracks and side comments...he has a good mind but is going through a silly period.”

As a sophomore in high school, I boarded a bus by myself and traveled to Missouri to attend a band camp for a week. Shortly after arriving, I had met many camp mates, found a group to hang with and even had a girlfriend. This was easy.

I rarely got turned down for dates because by the time I got up enough courage to ask for the date, we were already friends and I had gotten her to like me.

So by the time I took the StrengthFinder in 1999, shortly after beginning my employment at Gallup, I was a bit surprised when a talent theme called Woo showed up in my Top 5. I had been assessed, analyzed and given a ton of feedback on who I was by then. I had even taken several talent profiles back in the late 1980’s that were developed by SRI, prior to that organization becoming Gallup. Woo was not a theme on those profiles.

But as I read through the theme definition it was eerily accurate:

Strangers are rarely intimidating to you.....Yep!
You are rarely at a loss for words....That’s me.
You derive satisfaction from breaking the ice and making a connection....Always!
There are new people to meet, new rooms to work, new crowds to mingle in.....Of course!

And like so many people, I thought that was just the way I was and had not ever considered all my schmoozing, meeting and greeting and getting people to like me as a talent. I was a people person and an extrovert, that was for certain, but now I knew more about why I was a people person and more specifically, what flavor of people person I am.

My Woo is bold, assertive and fairly intense, no doubt colored by my Self-Assurance, Communication and Individualization themes. I’ve known people whose Woo is softer and less noisy than mine.  But underneath the meet and greet aspect of Woo is a genuine desire to get people to like us. So much so that many Woo-ers will admit to working to get people to like them. If I can get you to like me, we can work better together, or have more fun, or solve the problem you have placed in front of me. When I worked as a professional counselor, I was often asked to work with individuals who were referred to counseling against their wishes and my Woo helped me get them to trust me and give the counseling a chance. When I worked in retail, I  noticed that my Woo made more effective at working with angry or unhappy customers. Not only did they not push back,  but I had a unique way of getting an angry customer to become a happy customer, or at the least, a little more agreeable.

For the last 25 years of my career, I walked into rooms of strangers nearly every day. There was always something about the possibility of all those new people that made me look forward to my work that day. The more, the better. And it didn’t matter if I was in small town Nebraska or New York City, I loved the challenge or getting to know a little bit about each person and building rapport.

For some people, Woo is perceived as phony, superficial, cheesy and insincere. Sometimes they just want us to dial it back a notch. And I can tell you that my Woo is genuine, curious, interested, and energizing. But I’ve also learned to pay attention to who I am wooing and how hard I can try to win someone over. I often will use my Individualization to  provide me with cues to help me apply my Woo more strategically. And believe me, there have been times when it told me “don’t go there”. Sometimes I’ve heeded that advice and sometimes I just couldn’t help myself.

I’m retired now but my life’s work was and continues to be meeting, getting to know and building rapport with a lot of people every day.  And making life fun for them . I’ve worked as a band director, a counselor, a coach, a public speaker and as a seminar leader. I’ve met so many people in so many places I couldn’t possibly remember them all. And this talent we call Woo was the first thing people experienced from me when we meet or when I initiated the connection.

When my time in this earth is done, I hope that people will remember me for the connections we made and the fun we had, regardless of whether our time together was brief or long lasting. What I know for sure is that the gift of Woo made this world we share a very small place.
-Dan

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Strengths Activity: DBT House

The featured activity this week has become a recent favorite of the TeamMates Strengths Team. I learned of it by attending the Green Hills AEA Conference this past summer. The breakout presenter, Louise El Yafoori, taught on mitigating culturally sensitive trauma. This activity comes from the practice of Dialectical Behavior Therapy. While it can be used in very targeted ways for working with certain groups of kids, we found it a powerful reflective exercise that we all could benefit from. We facilitated this activity at our annual strengths day at the Gallup campus this year and the results of this learning and self reflection were highly impactful. Consider doing this activity with your mentee as a way to deepen the conversation around strengths and talent by incorporating discussions of values, role models, support systems, and more. Activity Instructions:  On a blank piece of paper, sketch out a house. Your house should include: a foundation, walls, windows, a door, roof, ch

Achiever: Fulfillment from Accomplishment

People exceptionally talented in the Achiever theme work hard and possess a great deal of stamina. They take immense satisfaction in being busy and productive. Clifton StrengthsFinder We are excited to hear from Stephanie Pravecek about Achiever this week. Steph is the Events Coordinator for TeamMates and leads with Achiever, Responsibility, Discipline, Consistency, and Relator. People with high Achiever are hard workers, list makers, and doers. It is very difficult for Achievers to take a break when there is a task at hand that needs to be completed.  Once one task is complete it is on to the next and then the next. Achievers set out each day to accomplish at least one task but, there is much more fulfillment when multiple things are crossed off the “to-do” list for the day. This does include weekends and vacations, as REST or RELAX are not words you often hear in the vocabulary of an Achiever. As a guest blogger this week, I am going to put more of a personal ton

Strengths Activity- Strengths Metaphors

A fun activity we have done with students is Strengths Metaphors. We often have a tendency to limit and confine our strengths to the two-sentence definition of the theme we find on the 34 list. Strengths manifest uniquely in each person based on their other 5 or 2 themes, their age, their background, their life experiences, and so much more. The Strengths Metaphors activity is a great way to break the themes of out of the boxes we put them in. Fill out the worksheet or engage in a conversation using the prompts on the sheet. Pick one of your top 5 or top 3 themes.  Describe what the theme looks like, what color you would associate with it, what it smells like, what it sounds like, and any other sensory descriptors you would add to the selected theme.  Share with your mentee and ask your mentee to share with you. Share with each other why you chose to assign these specific descriptors to the strength.  If you have similar strengths to each other, discuss the differences between