Skip to main content

A Look at Analytical

People exceptionally talented in the Analytical theme search for reasons and causes. They have the ability to think about all the factors that might affect a situation.
CliftonStrengths



This week, our guest blogger is Brian Klintworth. Brian is a mentor in Lincoln Public Schools. He also gives his time and expertise as a trainer for financial literacy mentor academies. Brian’s top 5 Strengths are Achiever, Discipline, Learner, Analytical, and Relator. Here is what Analytical looks like for Brian:



I want you to think back to when you were in middle or high school and you gave thought to what you wanted to be when you “grew up”.  And then, I want you to compare what you wanted to be back then to what you are now.  My guess is that the career path that you ended up choosing is somewhat different.  As you got older, you found a better way to hone your strengths and determine what you were best suited to.  When I got asked in middle school what I wanted to be when I grew up, my answer was always that I wanted to be a tax accountant.  Yes, you read that correctly.  A TAX ACCOUNTANT in MIDDLE SCHOOL.  And now, tax accounting is exactly what I am doing. 

When I look back as to what steered me towards this career, I have no doubt that my Analytical strength played a role in this.  Through my analytical strength, I like to dig down and explore ideas and theories.  I do not just want a plan; I want a detailed guide that considers obstacles and other items not considered.  As I started thinking about what I wanted to do at a young age, I used my analytical strength to change my mind and focus on a new career.  And now, I am doing something every day that is the perfect fit for me and I just love!  Prior to wanting to be an accountant, I really wanted to be a farmer.  I grew up living in the country, would go out harvesting with some family friends, had visited John Deere’s headquarters at least a half dozen times, and even had a bedroom decorated in John Deere.  My plan was to become a farmer right here in Nebraska.  And then, middle school me started doing some thinking.  I began to think about the cost of farmland, whether it was rented or purchased, and the cost of equipment.  I realized that my family’s six acre field and somewhat large lawn tractor would not get me very far in my pursuit.  Plus, I realized I liked wearing suits on a regular basis, which didn’t make sense for a farmer outside of a 1960’s TV show. 

As I started to try and decide what a better career path might be, I started thinking about the ways that I had been financially analyzing the drawbacks to trying to start a farm.  I realized that much of what I did was analyzing numbers without even thinking about it.  I then started thinking about the businesses that my family ran growing up, and I began to understand that I could help businesses just like that as an accountant.  I put the pencil to paper and determined that accounting was the perfect career for me.  So, while I may have been young when I decided on my career, having my analytical strength to guide me ensured that I made the right decision.


I must admit, as well, that I have to give my parents at least some of the credit for being an accountant.  After all, they did both meet as tax accountants.  And, I know that the way I act cannot be fully my fault.  Take this drawing I did in kindergarten.  It’s of an elephant.  And frankly, it is a much better elephant that I could ever draw today.  But also, take a look at the story that I wrote for the elephant.  “And then it went on line to Ameritrade.com.”  Ameritrade is an online brokerage house where you can buy stock…I was five years old at the time.  So, I guess my analytical strength cannot take ALL of the credit for pushing me to where I am today.  Back when I was in middle school, I didn’t know what my strengths were.  But, as I look back on who I was back then and who I have become, it is clear to me that my analytical strength played a role in helping guide me to where I am today.





-Brian

If you are interested in guest blogging about one of your Top 5 StrengthsFinder themes this school year, please email Tess at tstarman@teammates.org

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Strengths Activity: DBT House

The featured activity this week has become a recent favorite of the TeamMates Strengths Team. I learned of it by attending the Green Hills AEA Conference this past summer. The breakout presenter, Louise El Yafoori, taught on mitigating culturally sensitive trauma. This activity comes from the practice of Dialectical Behavior Therapy. While it can be used in very targeted ways for working with certain groups of kids, we found it a powerful reflective exercise that we all could benefit from. We facilitated this activity at our annual strengths day at the Gallup campus this year and the results of this learning and self reflection were highly impactful. Consider doing this activity with your mentee as a way to deepen the conversation around strengths and talent by incorporating discussions of values, role models, support systems, and more. Activity Instructions:  On a blank piece of paper, sketch out a house. Your house should include: a foundation, walls, windows, a door, roof, ch

Achiever: Fulfillment from Accomplishment

People exceptionally talented in the Achiever theme work hard and possess a great deal of stamina. They take immense satisfaction in being busy and productive. Clifton StrengthsFinder We are excited to hear from Stephanie Pravecek about Achiever this week. Steph is the Events Coordinator for TeamMates and leads with Achiever, Responsibility, Discipline, Consistency, and Relator. People with high Achiever are hard workers, list makers, and doers. It is very difficult for Achievers to take a break when there is a task at hand that needs to be completed.  Once one task is complete it is on to the next and then the next. Achievers set out each day to accomplish at least one task but, there is much more fulfillment when multiple things are crossed off the “to-do” list for the day. This does include weekends and vacations, as REST or RELAX are not words you often hear in the vocabulary of an Achiever. As a guest blogger this week, I am going to put more of a personal ton

Strengths Activity- Strengths Metaphors

A fun activity we have done with students is Strengths Metaphors. We often have a tendency to limit and confine our strengths to the two-sentence definition of the theme we find on the 34 list. Strengths manifest uniquely in each person based on their other 5 or 2 themes, their age, their background, their life experiences, and so much more. The Strengths Metaphors activity is a great way to break the themes of out of the boxes we put them in. Fill out the worksheet or engage in a conversation using the prompts on the sheet. Pick one of your top 5 or top 3 themes.  Describe what the theme looks like, what color you would associate with it, what it smells like, what it sounds like, and any other sensory descriptors you would add to the selected theme.  Share with your mentee and ask your mentee to share with you. Share with each other why you chose to assign these specific descriptors to the strength.  If you have similar strengths to each other, discuss the differences between