Skip to main content

A Look at Includer

People exceptionally talented in the Includer theme accept others. They show awareness of those who feel left out and make an effort to include them.

CliftonStrengths

This week our guest blogger is Cindy Borland. Cindy has been mentoring in Cambridge, Nebraska since 2014. Last fall, she became the Program Coordinator of the chapter. Her top five strengths are Includer, Harmony, Arranger, Positivity, and Developer. Here’s what Includer looks like for Cindy:



I would define the Includer strength as ability to bring others together, so everyone can feel part of a group-stretching the circle wider. This strength understands that judgement hurts people and that acceptance is a way to bring others together and raise awareness that no one should be ignored or left out.  In my day to day life, I use the strength Includer at my work and at home.   After I found out that Includer was by top strength, I understood the need that I have had throughout my life to ensure everyone had a place to fit in.

I teach for a living and in my area of work, I focus a lot on social inclusion and academic inclusion. It has been a natural fit for me.  I am responsible for holding meetings with parents, teachers, and administration to create a plan that is the best for our students and to ensure they are not left out.  At work, I co-lead 3 groups of social inclusion groups-Circle of Friends. These groups are to help students in our school that struggle with social interactions.  This program was such an easy transition for me. I am able to help advocate for those who struggle socially and teach acceptance from those whose social interactions come easily. We talk weekly about:  What would happen if we focused on what was uniquely right about someone.  TeamMates is also a good fit for me!  I am the TeamMates Coordinator at our school and I am always looking for Mentors in our community so the Mentees that have interest in joining can find their match.  I am able to work with the Mentors to help guide them in their mentoring journey as well as the mentees.   As I look back with my family, I probably drove my boys crazy with my need to ensure everyone wasn’t doing something alone.  When they were younger I would point out kids in their school/activities that were hanging back or not sitting with someone and I would encourage them to go sit by them or to talk with them. Of course, they always helped me out!! Being an Includer has helped us raise our boys with the awareness of others’ feelings and the importance of including others into their circle.   Family is important to me and I am the family member that wants to make sure everyone can attend family dinners and if not, how can we make it work that everyone is there and no one is missing. 

I lead with Includer and I use it daily at work and at home.  I work with students and adults daily, finding ways that we can all fit in together. My other strengths are Harmony, Arranger, Positivity, and Developer. Harmony helps me find that common ground to ensure students get along and during meetings; we can find a common ground to reach the goals of our students.  This pairs well with the Includer strength because we all need to be part of the team.  I wear many hats at home and at school, Arranger strength helps me sort it all out and find a way to achieve everything I have planned.  My husband and I both work outside the home, run small farm with cattle and pigs, have a mowing business plus all the fun that comes with having two boys that are involved in many events.  Some days it takes a lot of thought and time to figure out how we will fulfill all our responsibilities.  I enjoy the challenge how it will all come together.     Positivity was the one strength that took me by surprise.  I don’t necessarily see myself as that person but when I truly looked at the strength I can now spot the areas where this plays a role in my life. I am always looking for the good, whether it be in someone’s personality or the situation.   Developer is mostly used with the youth that I work with.  I enjoy helping them see how important they are to this world and encouraging them to be everything that they dream of.  Sometimes their goals are lofty but together we find a way in which their goals can be attained and develop a plan to make it work.

As I write this blog, I realize that my 5 strengths have helped me become who I am today and through them I have found my way as mom, daughter, and a special education teacher.  I use all 5 of my strengths daily plus a few more!!  I never knew that strength spotting would be so much fun for myself and others. 
-Cindy


If you are interested in guest blogging about one of your Top 5 StrengthsFinder themes this school year, please email Tess at tstarman@teammates.org

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Strengths Activity: DBT House

The featured activity this week has become a recent favorite of the TeamMates Strengths Team. I learned of it by attending the Green Hills AEA Conference this past summer. The breakout presenter, Louise El Yafoori, taught on mitigating culturally sensitive trauma. This activity comes from the practice of Dialectical Behavior Therapy. While it can be used in very targeted ways for working with certain groups of kids, we found it a powerful reflective exercise that we all could benefit from. We facilitated this activity at our annual strengths day at the Gallup campus this year and the results of this learning and self reflection were highly impactful. Consider doing this activity with your mentee as a way to deepen the conversation around strengths and talent by incorporating discussions of values, role models, support systems, and more. Activity Instructions:  On a blank piece of paper, sketch out a house. Your house should include: a foundation, walls, windows, a door, roof, ch

Achiever: Fulfillment from Accomplishment

People exceptionally talented in the Achiever theme work hard and possess a great deal of stamina. They take immense satisfaction in being busy and productive. Clifton StrengthsFinder We are excited to hear from Stephanie Pravecek about Achiever this week. Steph is the Events Coordinator for TeamMates and leads with Achiever, Responsibility, Discipline, Consistency, and Relator. People with high Achiever are hard workers, list makers, and doers. It is very difficult for Achievers to take a break when there is a task at hand that needs to be completed.  Once one task is complete it is on to the next and then the next. Achievers set out each day to accomplish at least one task but, there is much more fulfillment when multiple things are crossed off the “to-do” list for the day. This does include weekends and vacations, as REST or RELAX are not words you often hear in the vocabulary of an Achiever. As a guest blogger this week, I am going to put more of a personal ton

Strengths Activity-Strengths Collage

Conversations are a great way to recognize, own, and develop our strengths. But sometimes, I find my mentee and I have the best dialogues when we are doing something kinetic. This week's featured strengths activity is hands on!  In the picture above, you see a great example of this week's activity, a strengths collage! Our own words and descriptions of our strengths are powerful, just like strengths conversations, but sometimes, when we look to other's words, we can help expand our understanding of our talent. In addition, sometimes our words just don't "cut it", and pictures or images might evoke a more accurate feeling regarding your talents. Through this activity, you and your mentee will look to magazines, newspapers, and advertisements in order expand your strengths language as well as practice strengths spotting.  What you will need:  A piece of card stock or journal page Various magazines, newspapers, or advertisements.  Glue Scissors